Lately I have noticed how easy I have made things for myself. When I get home from church I frequently veg in front of the TV or pass time on the internet like I would any other day. I rarely leave enough quiet time to reflect upon gospel principles and further my spiritual growth. On Fast Sunday's I typically eat as soon as I get home. OR on days such this I completely forget it's Fast Sunday until my husband catches me with a bitten piece of toast in hand and reminds me "what today is." At this point the rasberry-peach jam has already kissed my lips. After only one bite I could probably start over. I stare at my perfect toast and contemplate my next move. The internal struggle begins...and ends as I rapidly scarf the remaining toast down.
I can' t remember the last time I overcame temptations such as these. Small? Yes. But these little things make a world of difference. So much so, that I have noticed a void in my life from this sheer lack of effort. And so my goal is to do better, try harder, and make an effort in these areas that I have become so lax.

6 comments:
This is something I really needed to hear today!
Interesting how it happens, isn't it? I did the same thing yesterday -- had my breakfast bagel nearly done before I realized what day it was. And then I finished it. Sigh.
Great thoughts - thanks for sharing them. I needed them too.
you know it's funny because when I was single in college, I was really good too. After I got married, it seemed like I got lax on reading scriptures, etc. Then you add kids into the mix and it's tough. I have always kept the TV off though. Phil and I agreed that we already watch enough TV during the week and having no TV is a way to make the sabbath different. It also forces you to think of other things to do like take a nap, study scriptures etc. Good luck. It's so hard, but it's so worth it. Everyone needs a day to spiritually recharge.
Hi Brianne - you have just decided my fate - the next time peach jam "kisses my lips" on fast day it's going to the garbage! Thanks! Grandma W
By the way, I had to so laugh when I read about the boy telling you to get out of the school room!
Hey it's Lindy. I found you in Tirza's blog. I was so excited. E mail me so i can invite you to our blog. markarianam@yahoo.com That is is you want :)
Hi Brianne! I glad to see you've started a blog! We miss you here in reno, but its good to know that you are having a good time in idaho!
Danielle
Post a Comment